Thank you to Julianna Paradisi of JParadisi RN's Blog for the Liebster Award nomination! These awards are a way for bloggers to get to know one another better, recognize one another, and share favorite blogs with their audiences. To continue the trend, I must share 11 things about myself, answer 11 questions asked by Julianna, and nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 questions. So, here we go:
Eleven Things About Me
1. I speak Italian. My parents met when my dad was in the Air Force and stationed near my mom’s hometown in northern Italy. They married, had my brother, and then moved to the U.S. I learned the language from visiting our family and studying it in school.
2. I like wearing glasses. I tried contact lenses but couldn’t get used to them. I own several pairs of glasses at any given time and like to order different styles online.
3. When time and acuity allowed, I thoroughly enjoyed washing patients’ hair, which was not usually an easy task in the Medical Intensive Care Unit. It was time consuming and messy, but I hope that someone will do that for me if I’m ever critically ill.
4. I always, always wear a watch and am usually early for everything! It drives my family a little bit crazy!
5. I don’t like to style my hair, but if I have to, I usually straighten it, and then curl it. It makes no sense, I know.
6. NICU nurses are my heroes. For 2 months, they were lifesavers and caregivers to my twin sons who were born at 29 weeks.
7. I enjoy gardening. I find weeding relaxing and I don’t mind cutting the lawn or trimming shrubs. The best part, of course, is having fresh vegetables and herbs on hand all summer!
8. I still have many of my books from nursing school. They have been updated with new editions and even with all the information that is now available online, I still can’t part with them.
9. I love to fold clean laundry but hate to put it away.
10. Math was always my favorite subject. I took Calculus I and II as my electives in nursing school and now I enjoy tackling math homework with my kids, although they are learning things very differently than I remember!
11. Nurse bullying, horizontal violence – whatever you want to call it – upsets me tremendously, especially when it involves students or new nurses. We really need to support one another! We all started as beginners!
Eleven Questions From Julianna
1. Who was your childhood hero? My older brother! I would do anything to get his attention! I remember even begging my mom to make him say “I love you” to me.
2. What book (s) have you read more than once? Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. It’s a wonderful tale of friendship, but a real tear-jerker! Also, The $64 Tomato by William Alexander. I read it every year while prepping our garden for the upcoming season. Even my kids like to hear excerpts of the author’s trials and tribulations in the garden!
3. If you could do one thing in your life over, what would it be? I probably would have done my MSN in acute care. I enjoyed women’s health and am glad to have that knowledge and experience, but I think my real passion is critical care.
4. In one sentence or less, how would you describe yourself? This is tough! Ok, here goes… I am a mom, wife, daughter, sister, and aunt who thrives on being with and caring for others.
5. What is your favorite way to exercise? Walking with friends. It’s a great way for us to catch up on each other’s lives and put in some miles!
6. Name one person from any era, dead or alive, you would like to meet. Mother Teresa.
7. What is your secret talent? I can tap dance; took lessons for 13 years!
8. Do you ever dance to music when no one is watching? Yes, but it’s definitely more fun when my whole family gets into it!
9. What is your all-time favorite TV show? Friends.
10. What TV show theme song do you know by heart? So many! Friends, Cheers, Brady Bunch…. Also, thanks to my kids – Phineas & Ferb and Good Luck Charlie.
11. What is one ability you wish you had, possible or not? I wish I could control time – the possibilities are endless…
These are my favorites – enjoy! (Full disclosure- two are LWW journal blogs)
Infusion Nurse Blog
Nursing Staff Development: Behind the Firewall
ANS: Advances in Nursing Science Blog
AJN’s Off The Charts
3cs: coffee, children, and cancer
At Your Cervix
Crass Pollination: An ER Blog
Eleven Questions for My Nominees
1. What makes you laugh?
2. Have you ever written for publication?
3. What was your first nursing job?
4. What is your favorite blog post that you’ve written?
5. What’s your favorite TV or movie quote?
6. What is your biggest fear?
7. Do you sing in the shower? If yes, do you have a favorite genre or song?
8. What’s your favorite vacation spot?
9. Can you describe your best memory of nursing school?
10. When did you know you wanted to become a nurse?
11. What do you find most fulfilling about being a nurse blogger?