Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
August 2009, Volume Number , p -
Purchase of this book includes an e-reader format for download to a device such as an iPad, Nook, or Kindle.
Michele J. Eliason, PhD
Suzanne L. Dibble, DNSc, RN
Jeanne DeJoseph, CNM, PhD
Peggy Chinn, RN, PhD
The purpose of this online-only book is to serve as an introduction
to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ)
health issues and offer health care professionals tools for
creating safer and more inclusive environments for the
people they serve, and a more humane workplace for
their LGBTQ coworkers. It provides a broad overview of the issues that are shared among those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, or queer.
Table of Contents
*With purchase of this book, you can also earn 21.0 contact hours of CE credit.
After reading the book and taking this CE test, registered professional nurses should be able to:
- Differentiate between sex and gender.
- Distinguish between sexual expression and gender expression.
- List reasons why LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer) people might choose not to disclose their gender or sexual identities to health care professionals.
- Describe the terms/concepts related to stigma.
- Identify the social effects of stigma.
- Identify at least five myths about sexual orientation and gender identity and explain why they are myths.
- Describe LGBTQ families.
- Define "diversity" within LGBTQ communities.
- Identify how stigma might operate to create health problems.
- List five documents needed by LGBTQ individuals to protect their rights in health care settings.
- Identify at least five action steps that health care professionals can do to improve the quality of care for their LGBTQ patients/clients.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins will award 21.0 contact hours for this continuing nursing education activity.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation.
This activity is also provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11749 for 21.0 contact hours, District of Columbia, and Florida #FBN2454. LWW home study activities are classified for Texas nursing continuing education requirements as Type 1. Your certificate is valid in all states.
The ANCC's accreditation status of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Department of Continuing Education refers only to its continuing nursing educational activities only and does not imply Commission on Accreditation approval or endorsement of any commercial product.
PLEASE NOTE: This book is available only online. There is no hard copy available.