View Entire Collection
By Clinical Topic
Diabetes – Summer 2012
Future of Nursing Initiative
Heart Failure - Fall 2011
Influenza - Winter 2011
Nursing Ethics - Fall 2011
Trauma - Fall 2010
Traumatic Brain Injury - Fall 2010
Fluids & Electrolytes
Intertrigo is a skin condition that occurs inmoist body fold areas. This skin condition is common under the breasts, inthe groin area, and under the tummy fold. Usually skin has rubbed against skin, causing irritation. The moist, irritated skin allows bacteria and yeast to grow in the folds (Figure 1).
* When bathing or showering, use ketoconazole 1% (Nizoral AD) shampoo (available over the counter) as a soap all over the affected area. Leave it on for 2 to 5 minutes, then rinse off.
* Use a hair dryer on a low setting two to three times per day (including lunchtime) to dry the area(s) completely.
* Mix equal parts of clotrimazole 1% cream (Lotrimin) or miconazole 1% cream and hydrocortisone 1% cream in your hand. Some patients find that mixing in a little Desitin or Triple Paste also helps if friction is a major problem. Apply a thin layer of this mixture to the affected area(s) two times per day until the rash has cleared (usually 3-8 weeks). When the rash is clear, the skin may look a little darker than usual, but there should be no redness, discomfort, or sores present.
* When the rash has cleared, continue to use the shampoo as soap in the affected area at least weekly. You should still use the hair dryer (only on low setting) after each bath or shower or whenever the skin feels extra damp. After the skin is dry, apply Zeasorb AF Powder. Do this treatment once or twice a day to prevent the rash from coming back. If it recurs, resume the treatment outlined above.
* Call your healthcare provider if this does not control your condition.
Sign up for our free enewsletters to stay up-to-date in your area of practice - or take a look at an archive of prior issues
Join our CESaver program to earn up to 100 contact hours for only $34.95
Explore a world of online resources
Back to Top