Article Content

Poor-quality health care causes 8.4 million deaths in low- and middle-income countries. In countries with mostly low-and middle-income residents, poor health care quality accounts for 10% to 15% of total deaths. Among other deficiencies, evidence-based treatments for asthma, diarrhea, and tuberculosis are used only 25% to 50% of the time. Health system redesign, even in low-resourced countries, can improve safety and effectiveness by incorporating principles of person-centeredness, accessibility, timeliness, affordability, efficiency, and equity. National strategies, with supportive policies and routine monitoring are needed. Informal providers, who treat up to 75% of people in some countries, should be integrated into national health systems and trained to improve care, recommends the new report, Crossing the Global Quality Chasm: Improving Health Care Worldwide, by the Health and Medicine Division of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.