1. Brooke, Penny Simpson APRN, MS, JD

Article Content

Most of the nurses at the hospital where I work belong to a union, but I don't. Recently, my supervisor changed my shift with only a week's notice (my contract specifies 2 weeks' notice), causing me significant problems in rearranging childcare. A colleague suggested that I file a grievance. Can I do this without the union's backing?-o.v., ariz.


You're fortunate to have a contract spelling out how much notice is due before your shift is changed. Contract law ensures your right to dispute your supervisor's actions.


Try resolving your situation by reminding the supervisor that your contract requires a 2-week notice or discuss the problem with someone from human resources. If your supervisor insists on the change, you can file a grievance without union backing because she's breached your employment contract. Your facility should have a policy for filing grievances. Read and follow it.


Most nurses are hired without a formal contract. When that's the case, the employee handbook serves as an informal contract between nurse and employer.