We are nurses. We should be healthy, right? We know we should be, but we are also human. Here are some top ways to improve your heart health – starting today.
- Stop smoking! Do whatever it takes…cut down slowly, go cold-turkey, or get professional help. Learn more in this patient education tool.
- Start your day with a glass of water, and unless contraindicated, increase your daily water intake. Here’s why.
- Eat a balanced diet. Avoid trans-fats and watch that sodium intake! Here’s a great CE article on red meat and heart health, and a look at nutritional trends for healthier, cleaner eating.
- Start moving! Many nurses walk all. day. long. If your job is not at the bedside and you find yourself sitting at a desk for long stretches of time, make getting up and moving a priority. Want to incorporate more walking into your day? Take the stairs or park further from your destination. And if you’re in the market for a fitness tracker, here’s some guidance.
- Lower your stress levels. How do you relax? For some, it’s fresh air, yoga, deep breathing, or meditation. For others, it may be going for a run or getting together with a friend. Find what works for you and plan it into your routine. Laughter and singing in the shower are great options too.
Remember to be realistic with your goals – start small and gradually build. Let’s take better care of ourselves so we can be the example for those around us!