Dr. Rosanne Raso is the Chief Nursing Officer and Vice President at New York-Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Medical Center, as well as the Editor-in-Chief of Nursing Management.
As a nurse leader in New York City, the responsibilities that Dr. Raso faced during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in the spring of 2020 were unimaginable, but like any nurse, Dr. Raso faced this challenge with authenticity and grit, putting staff first while balancing accountability with prioritizing patient care. Listen to our full conversation
to learn how Dr. Raso, the medical center, and frontline clinicians managed issues such as staffing, personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages, and moral injury.
We also discuss:
- ‘Pop-up ICUs’ and specific resources and strategies used when NYC was the epicenter of the pandemic in the U.S.
- Leadership during times of crisis
- Self-care as a building block for resilience
- The effects of the pandemic across the country
- Advice for those considering a nursing leadership role
And much more…