1. Eisenhut, Becky MS, RN, CASAC, CARN

Article Content

Each state has a board of nursing who governs professional practice, and many have chosen to implement nurse assistance programs or alternative to discipline programs to address substance use disorder in the nursing profession. The purpose of these programs is to offer support and monitoring to the individual who has been impacted by the use of substances with the goal of returning a safe practitioner to the profession. There are basic requirements for participation, which include counseling, drug testing, and worksite monitoring (National Council of State Boards of Nursing, 2010). Programs vary state by state and are called by a myriad of names. Some examples include Louisiana where the program is called the Recovering Nurse Program; in Maine, the program is referred to as the Medical Professionals Health Program; and in Utah, the program is known by the Utah Recovery Assistance Program. The following is a compilation of state-by-state resource information.


Alabama: Voluntary Disciplinary Alternative Program (VDAP), 334-293-5200. Contact person: Mary Ed Davis, MSN, FNP; Tel: 1-800-656-5318; E-mail:


Alaska: No known program


Arizona: Chemically Addicted Nurses Diversion Option (CANDO); 602-771-7800, choose Option 4. Contact person: Jan Kerrigan, RN, BSN


Arkansas: No known program


California: Diversion Program, 1-800-522-9198. Contact person: Carol Stanford, Diversion Program Manager


Colorado: Peer Assistance Services, 1-866-369-0039. Contact person: Rachel Steffl, MA, LPC, LAC


Connecticut: Health Assistance Intervention Education Network (HAVEN), 860-276-9196. Contact person: Linda Barile, PhD, RN, Associate Program Director


Delaware: Voluntary Treatment Option, 302-744-4503. Contact person: Kay Warren, Deputy Director; E-mail:


Florida: Intervention Project for Nurses (IPN), 1-800-840-2720. Contact person: Linda Smith, ARNP, MN, MDiv, CAP, Executive Director


Georgia: Georgia Nurses Association Peer Assistance Program, 800-462-9627 or 404-325-8807


Hawaii: Hawaii Nurses Association Peer Assistance, 808-531-1628 or 808-265-1290. Contact person: Sandra D. Eichelberger, RN, at


Idaho: Program for Recovering Nurses (PRN), 1-208-323-9555. Contact person: John Southworth, Program Coordinator


Illinois: Illinois Professionals Health Program (IPHP), 847-795-2844 or 312-580-2499. Contact person: Janet Pickett, RN, CARN, CADC


Peer Assistance Network for Nurses (PANN) Illinois Nurses Association, 708-494-0008. Contact person: Dee-Dee Patrick, MS, RN, CARN, CLNC; E-mail:


Indiana: Indiana State Nurses Assistance Program (ISNAP), 317-295-9862 or 1-800-630-6623


Iowa: No known program


Kansas: The Kansas Nurses Assistance Program (KNAP), 913-236-7575


Kentucky: KARE for Nurses Program; Kentucky Assistance Recovery Effort. Contact person: Jill M. Cambron, Compliance Program Coordinator, at 502-429-3313 or 1-800-305-2042 ext. 3313


Louisiana: Recovering Nurse Program (RNP), 225-755-7546. Contact person: Barbara McGill, MSN, BSN, Director; E-mail:,Complaints,MonitoringRNP/Monitoring.aspx


Maine: Medical Professionals Health Program (MPHP); MPHP Web site:; 207-623-9266 or e-mail at Contact person: Mindy Armstrong


Maryland: Maryland Board of Nursing Rehabilitation Program, 410-585-1924 or contact the Program Monitoring Coordinator at for additional information and assistance.


Massachusetts: Peer Assistance Program; Massachusetts Nursing Association Peer Assistance Program; 781.821.4625 x755 or 800.882.2056 x755 (in Massachusetts only)


Michigan: Health Professional Recovery Program (HPRP), 800-453-3784


Minnesota: Health Professionals Services Program (HPSP), 651-642-0487


Mississippi: Recovering Nurse Program, 601-664-3903


Missouri: No known program


Montana: Nursing Assistance Program (NAP), 406-251-4210 or 1-888-630-4210


Nebraska: No known program


Nevada: Alternative Program for Chemically Dependent Nurses; call toll free 888-590-6726


New Hampshire: No known program


New Jersey: Recovery & Monitoring Program (RAMP), 609-883-5335 ext. 115. Contact person: Annemarie Edinger, RAMP Communications Coordinator; E-mail:


New Mexico: New Mexico Board of Nursing Diversion Program. Steven Ludwig, ADN, RN, Diversion Program Case Manager; E-mail:; Tel: 505.841.909


New York: Professionals Assistance Program (PAP); Professional Assistance Program. Contact person: Bernadette Lochner, (518)-474-3817 ext. 480 (voice); E-mail: pap@nysed.go


Statewide Peer Assistance for Nurses (SPAN) program; New York State Nurses Association, (800)-457-7261, or e-mail:


North Carolina: Alternative Program for Chemical Dependency (AP). Kay McMullan, RN, MSN, Director; (919)-782-3211 x257, E-mail:


Intervention Program (IP), Tel: (919) 782-3211 ext. 228; E-mail:


North Dakota: Chemical Dependency Program; Workplace Impairment Program. Contact person: Karla Bitz, PhD, RN (Associate Director); North Dakota Board of Nursing, (701)-328-9783 or (701)-328-9777 (main office).


Ohio: No known program


Oklahoma: Oklahoma Peer Assistance Program, (405) 525-2277


Oregon: No known program


Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Nurse Peer Assistance Program (PNAP), (877)-298-7627 ext. 1. Contact person: Kathie Simpson, Executive Director; (877)-298-7627 ext. 1; E-mail:


Rhode Island: No known program


South Carolina: No known program


South Dakota: Health Professionals Assistance Program (HPAP), (605)275-4711; E-mail:


Tennessee: Tennessee Professional Assistance Program (Tn-PAP), 615-250-6106. Contact person: Elaine Eaton, Administrative Director; E-mail:


Texas: Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses (TPAPN), (800) 288-5528


Utah: Utah Recovery Assistance Program (URAP). Contact person: Charles Walton, MD, Program Manager; (801)-530-6106


Vermont: Health Professional Wellness and Recovery Programs; Vermont Board of Nursing, Office of Professional Regulation of the Secretary of State; (802)-828-2819


Virginia: No known program


Washington: WA Health Professional Services (WHPS). Contact person: John Furman at or (360)-236-2880 or e-mail:


West Virginia: No known program


Wisconsin: Professional Assistance Procedure (PAP); Department of Safety and Professional Services; (608) 267-3817


Wyoming: Nurse Monitoring Program; Wyoming State Board of Nursing (WSBN) Nurse Monitoring Program; (307)-777-7616. Contact the WSBN NMP Manager at


Additional Resources:


AANA American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Peer Assistance Helpline* (800) 654-5167.


National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).


National Organization of Alternative Programs (NOAP). (205)-823-6106; E-mail:


If you would like to have your state peer assistance program highlighted in this column, contact Becky Eisenhut at State programs that have been included in previous issues of the Journal for Addictions Nursing are New York State (2012), Colorado (2012), New Jersey (2013), Tennessee (2014), Massachusetts (2015), and Florida (2015). Program updates can also be sent to




National Council of State Boards of Nursing. (2010). Substance use disorder in nursing: A resource manual and guidelines for alternative and disciplinary monitoring programs. Chicago, IL: Author. [Context Link]